About 2lbs of boneless chuck, diced into 1/2″ cubes
I medium onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, smashed with the side of a knife and chopped
Approx. 3 Tablespoons of cooking oil
Approx. 1 Tablespoon of sesame oil
Approx. 6-8 oz of Oyster Sauce
Approx. 1 cup of light soy sauce
About 1 cup of either Chinese mushrooms or steamed tofu
Pinch of salt
1. Heat the oils over medium flame in a two-inch deep skillet.
2. Add the garlic and onions. Sauté until the onion become translucent.
3. Add the beef and toss with the garlic and onion.
4. Sprinkle the salt over the beef and continue stir so that the meat doesn’t stick and burn.
5. When the beef just starts to brown, add the soy sauce and oyster sauce. (If you’ve been following Panlasa since the beginning, you’ll remember that I don’t really measure my ingredients and my numbers in the ingredients list above are estimates. What I did with the soy sauce is to pour it into the pan until it spread all the way around the bottom of the pan and about a centimetre deep. With the oyster sauce, I shot about 6 or 7 globs out of the bottle.)
6. Just before your meat is fully cooked, add the mushrooms (or tofu or Chinese mushrooms). Cook for another 2-3 minutes (again this is an estimate). When it’s ready, serve over white rice.